Texas law allows you to dismiss one traffic ticket per year by taking a TDLR-approved driving safety/defensive driving course.
Be sure to obtain the court's permission first. Most courts require you to contact them before you take the driving safety course. Contact the court that is indicated on your traffic ticket.
- The court will dismiss only one charge for each completion of a course.
- You cannot dismiss the ticket if you were cited with driving 25 or more miles per hour above the posted speed limit.
- In addition to a course completion certificate, you’ll probably need to pay a court fee provide and submit copy of your driving record.
- You must admit guilt or sign a statement that you do not contest the citation (nolo contendere).
- There are other criteria and the court has the final decision on whether you'll be permitted to dismiss the ticket by completing a driving safety course.